Make these light and fluffy bakery style chocolate chip muffins in minutes with just a bowl and a whisk. The perfect breakfast treat!
- 2 1/4 cups (280 g) all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 2 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (224 g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (113 g) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream, room temperature
- 1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips, plus more for topping
- 3 tablespoons course or turbinado sugar, for sprinkling on top if desired
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, butter, oil, eggs, vanilla, buttermilk and sour cream until combined well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined, leaving a few streaks of flour.
- Add the mini chocolate chips and fold to combine. Do not over mix.
- Cover the bowl with a dry dish towel or cloth and let sit at room temperature for 45 to 60 minutes.
- Once the batter is ready, preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- Using a cookie or ice cream scoop, divide the batter evenly between the muffin liners, filling each one all the way to the top. Sprinkle the tops with extra mini chocolate chips and sprinkle with the turbinado or demerara sugar if desired.
- Bake the muffins on the center rack of the oven at 425°F for 8 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 375°F and bake for an additional 8 to 9 minutes. The muffins are done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs remaining. Do not over bake.
- Remove the pan from the oven cool the muffins in the pan for 5 to 10 minutes before carefully removing and transferring to a wire rack to cool.
Store muffins tightly covered at room temperature for up to 4 days.
May be frozen for up to 2 months. Defrost at room temperature before serving.
Keywords: bakery style chocolate chip muffins, chocolate chip muffins