A totally indulgent pecan pie tart with a crunchy chocolate crust and a rich, chocolate filling topped with whole pecans. This delicious twist on a classic pecan pie is sure to become a new holiday tradition.
For Chocolate Tart Crust
- 16 graham crackers (2 sleeves)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 TBSP granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 TBSP unsalted butter, melted
- 1 egg white
For Pecan Pie Filling
- 4 TBSP (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, browned
- 3 ounces dark chocolate, chopped (I used 70% cacao)
- 1/2 cup Karo Light Corn Syrup
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups whole pecans
For Chocolate Crust
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease the bottom and sides of a removable 9 inch tart pan with non-stick baking spray.
- Set aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor, pulse together graham crackers, sugar, cocoa powder and salt until you have a finely ground crumb. Add melted butter and combine until mixture is evenly coated.
- Transfer to a medium bowl and add egg white. Use a fork to disperse the egg white until the crumbs are evenly coated.
- Scoop the crust mixture into the prepared tart shell and use your hands or the back of a measuring cup or glass to firmly press the mixture into the bottom and up the sides of the pan.
- Bake for 8-9 minutes until crust is just set.
- Remove from the oven to cool slightly.
- While the tart crust is baking, brown the butter.
- In a medium pan, melt butter over medium heat. Once butter has melted completely, continue stirring often and butter will begin to foam and sizzle. Continue stirring until golden brown bits begin to form and fall to the bottom of the pan. This takes about 5 minutes.
- Once crackling sound has stopped, there will be a nutty aroma from the butter. At this point, remove the pan from the heat and pour the browned butter into a small bowl to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, melt the chocolate in the microwave, stirring in 30 second increments. Or use a double boiler method to melt the chocolate until smooth.
- Set aside to cool until ready to use.
- Once the tart crust is baked, combine the Karo Light Corn Syrup, eggs, brown sugar vanilla and salt in a large bowl. Whisk together to combine.
- Stir together the browned butter and melted chocolate until well combined.
- Add to the brown sugar and egg mixture and stir to fully combine.
- Pour the mixture into the tart crust.
- Arrange the whole pecans on top of the filling, using any design you like. Or just place the pecans randomly on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until the edges of the filling are set and the center jiggles only slightly.
- Remove the tart from the oven and cool on a wire rack for one hour.
- Place tart on a baking sheet and chill for 2-3 hours or overnight.
- Serve with freshly whipped cream.
Store left over tart in tightly covered in the refrigerator.